Saturday, January 19, 2008

Shouldn't have won this hand

This is pretty funny, and an excellent example of what NOT to do. Fortunatelly I emerged the victor and doubled my stack, but under most situations I should have lost.

I was in the small blind and everyone before me folded. I called with A2s, and the big blind La_Sepiarda raised. I assumed he was attempting to steal the blinds. I called his raise, which was probably a mistake, but I believed La_Sepiarda was bluffing with junk as he had a very high VP$IP (around 80%) and aggression factor (5+), and A2s wasn't too bad in a heads-up situation. 

The flop misses ( Qh, 4s, 7d ), and the Queen on the board is a little concerning but I still feel a little confident with my Ace. I raise 8BB to see where I stand and bluff that I hit my Queen. La_Sepiarda check-raises. A very aggressive move. But the statistics tell me he's probably bluffing with junk. A mistake, I now know.

At the time, if he had something I had put him on a low pair (perhaps 4 or 7) and so go all-in to intimidate him and suggest my QQ pair is real. To my horror he calls, and reveals he had two pair (QQ and 44), versus my A2s junk hand. 

Turn comes in with 5s.

River comes in with 3s.

I made a backdoor straight (A2345) and won his stack.

Lessons:

Fold to blind-stealing unless I have a good hand. In NL ring games, the blinds aren't worth as much.

If someone check-raises and you have nothing, fold.


----

$10 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Saturday, January 19, 07:22:35 ET 2008
Table Table 126081 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 5: vekado ( $5.44 USD )
Seat 6: sasha1551 ( $4.06 USD )
Seat 9: KT001 ( $9.90 USD )
Seat 10: La_Sepiarda ( $7.92 USD )
Seat 8: floyd_gehrig ( $11.05 USD )
Seat 2: Tsunami24 ( $1.70 USD )
Seat 4: crushka ( $9.79 USD )
Seat 1: Kalenka6 ( $2.68 USD )
Seat 3: Serega181 ( $9.40 USD )
Seat 7: Beatfiend111 ( $1.85 USD )
floyd_gehrig posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
La_Sepiarda posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to floyd_gehrig [ 2h Ah ]
Kalenka6 folds.
Tsunami24 folds.
Serega181 folds.
crushka folds.
vekado folds.
Beatfiend111 folds.
floyd_gehrig calls [$0.05 USD]
La_Sepiarda raises [$0.40 USD]
floyd_gehrig calls [$0.40 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qh, 4s, 7d ]
floyd_gehrig bets [$0.80 USD]
La_Sepiarda raises [$1.60 USD]
floyd_gehrig is all-In.
La_Sepiarda is all-In.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5s ]
** Dealing River ** [ 3s ]
La_Sepiarda shows [ Qc, 4h ]two pairs, Queens and Fours.
floyd_gehrig shows [ 2h, Ah ]a straight Ace to Five.
floyd_gehrig wins $3.13 USD from side pot #1 with a straight, Ace to Five.
floyd_gehrig wins $15.05 USD from the main pot with a straight, Ace to Five.

No comments: