Monday, January 28, 2008

First impressions of PKR.com

I finally withdrew my cash from PartyPoker and registered on PKR.com today with a rakeback program through Rakeback.org (30% rakeback).

My first impressions?

I *raped* the absolute shit out of the PKR.com in my first few hours. For some reason PartyPoker seems like a tougher gig than PKR.com. I've played the NL$5 tables at PartyPoker, the lowest you can go, and still ended up in the red.

In PKR.com, I'm up over +$15 after just a few hours. Perhaps it's just good luck, but I'm not complaining. The downside is that the NL$5 games on PKR.com have a 10% rake, rather than the 5% on PartyPoker. I guess this proves to be a huge disincentive for serious poker players who want to minimise their rake. But that also means whoever's willing to play at this level are bigger donks than I am. It's not uncommon to see two-thirds of the table call to see the flop with junk. With the rakeback deal, I'm only paying 2% more rake than PartyPoker, so the rake is certainly not fatal.

What I also like about PKR.com is that it is *fun* to play. With 3D graphics coupled with excellent avatar customisation, it's almost like playing an RPG. You can customise everything about your avatar from his clothing to the mood he's in. And you can also use emotes to taunt your opponents, etc. As you play, you also accumulate bonus points which can be spent on new clothing and accessories. It's pretty neat.

For now, I consider PKR.com to be my "base" poker site.

No comments: